Wednesday, March 21, 2012

honda hr214 manual and a smoking hr214

On Monday I ordered a bunch of honda parts for the new hr214, and today the manual came. 35$ might be a lot of money for a honda lawn mower manual, but if it helps solve the issue that I'm having with the smoking motor, it'll be worth its weight in gold! Video below of what a REALLY smokey hr214 looks like:

Mine isn't that bad!

So what is causing all that smoke? The guy said valve guides, but other sources on the internet like this guy with the smoking hr214 say that new rings are the way to go. I have the rings on order, and with the new honda manual, we should be OK to R+R later this summer.

Oh yeah, if you need a manual for hr214 follow the link!

4 comments:

  1. Honda has the manuals available for download as a pdf for free on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! I have the same issue on mine. Apparently this is quite common? I've just de-coked the exhaust valve as it wasn't closing properly anymore because of the carbon buildup caused by burning so much oil.
    Thing is, I've put some fuel on the top of the piston and it didn't leak down, however, I'm getting serious pressure buildup in the crank case (when I leave the dipstick out. This all doesn't make sense to me. Were you able to fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I replaced the piston rings and rubber seals and it solved the problem. I also honed the cylinder using a dingle-ball hone. Click the links on the right hand side of the page so see what I did. After about 5 years the mower is smoking a little on start up, so I think i'll be going through the process again soon.

      Delete
  3. Compression test with the intake pushrod removed, if below 95psi rings are worn. Also make sure the crankcase breather tube has not come out of the block. If the above is good check oil on level ground and make sure the oil level is half way up the mark and just dip it in the fill tube and do not screw it in. If you screw the oil dipstick in you will over fill the motor. If all is good after these issues pull the head and check the old head gasket for bad areas that may be letting oil flow from the oil passages into the cylinder. You can check the amount of play the valves have in the valve guides too.

    ReplyDelete