Monday, April 9, 2012

Honda hr214 lawn mower engine tear-down

And so it begins! I spent the majority of sunday tearing the gxv120 down. I used the official honda manual for the disassembly, but didn't necessarily go in the order prescribed.

Tools: No special tools required, just a wheel puller and a strap wrench to remove the flywheel. Beyond that, I have a motley assortment of metric wrenches and sockets. I would need some special measuring tools if i was going to check out engine internals myself, but for now we're OK since I'll be sending the block out for honing before I drop the new rings in. Oh, and a digital camera to take pictures as you go, and some baggies to store the parts.

Manuals: Just some youtube videos and the official honda hr214 manual. I'll use the parts manual from planopower.net or boats.net to order the stuff, but it wasn't necessary for the take apart.

Steps: I should have removed roto-stop assembly from the bottom of the mower, then taken the engine off the deck. Instead I left the mower on the deck, too it apart until I was down to the block, and then removed the roto-stop assembly. My back is killing me from all the bending over, even though the mower was on saw-horses.

So what does the inside of this small engine look like? Really, not fantastic. No metal shavings, but the bore is as smooth as glass, no cross-hatching in site. Ergo, definitely a hone job before it gets put back together. I'll also have the machine shop check the bore to make sure I don't need an over-size on the piston/ring set, but I would guess I'm ok there.






No comments:

Post a Comment