Sunday, April 29, 2012

Measuring the gxv120 Cylinder Bore

After I got the gxv120 cylinder honed I began to have doubts that the cylinder was still within spec. After all, this engine is pushing 30 years old (!), and was running super high revolutions when the tear-down began. So I decided to do some rough measurements with a telescopic bore gauge and calipers that I borrowed from a friend. Luckily the hr214 shop manual had the specs for the bore, and after taking some measurements it looks like my bore has about .05mm of wear, but is still well within spec. If anybody wants to do a tear down on one of these hondas and take the measurements, you need to take your time and do multiple measurements. I followed the directions from the video below:


Tools used in video:

Dial Bore Gauge

Like Jaf says in the video, the dial bore gauge is the best solution if you're building a serious engine, but for a lawnmower engine that is measuring so far below tolerance with the telescoping bore gauge set, I think I'm fine. I ordered some parts from boats.net too...hopefully next week the rebuild will start.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post. Keep them coming. My 214 is ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks BGordon! This has a been a ton of fun, and scratches that "tinkering" itch i seem to have.

    ReplyDelete